Monday, June 19, 2006

I'm a little bit embarassed...

At how many knitting projects I have started and not finished. I am hoping that by listing them here and vowing to complete them before starting anything new, that I will actually stay on task. Please don't judge, just support me in my goal!
UFO's (unfinished objects)
  1. Emily's baby sweater (all it needs is two seams and a button, hardly an UFO, but it will make me feel better to get to cross it off my list when I finish it)
  2. Triangular shawl--this I have a deadline for--I want to bring it to wear on my cruise, which I leave for on July 14th. It's made with two Trendsetter yarns, Viola and something else. I think I might need more of the something else--hope the lys still has it...
  3. Sinsation scarf and hat--I actually need to purchase one more skein in order to finish these off to my satisfaction, none of my lys have had the yarn in stock, so I have to place an online order--which would mean I would accumulate more yarn--NO!!!!! LOL
  4. Opal tiger socks--ok, I have to confess, I was intrigued with the idea of knitting socks, but now that I know how to do them, they have lost their interest. I do hope to finish them someday, though, they really are turning out cute!
  5. A bulky yarn bias scarf--I don't know why I had to start this a few weeks ago, as if I wasn't already in over my head. It should finish quickly, if DD will just allow me time to knit...
  6. Blue shawl--this is made out of 4 different yarns in the blue family, pattern a la Sally Melville. I cast on a bunch of stitches and am knitting it lengthwise
  7. Aran sweater with Debbie Bliss merino aran, the pattern is Cynthia Helene Lattice, very pretty, can't wait to really rip back into it
  8. Basketweave scarf--this is knit with Lion Brand's woolease in a variegated yarn, the pattern was adapted from a shawl pattern in Folk Shawls by Cheryl Oberle. This was the first project I started after relearning to knit at a Michael's class--it has sentimental value, but is very tedious to knit as I haven't memorized the 12(?) row repeat for the pattern and I have to keep looking at the chart as I go
  9. Stitch Sampler scarf in Jo Sharp silkroad in a wheat color, this is just about half done, but as usual, once I have mastered the patterns or learn all there is to learn about the project, I get bored and need to move on....I really do need to finish it, though, it's really pretty and soft and warm
  10. Blue cardigan--from Knitter's magazine, Cardigan with a Twist knit in Debbie Bliss cotton cashmere in a cornflower blue color
  11. Patchwork pillow--http://www.barbarakerrknits.com/workshops.html# took a class from Barbara Kerr http://www.barbarakerrknits.com/ and never finished it, again, learned what I wanted to then abandoned, it's in blues and browns with flashes of orange in it (I know that sounds weird, but it's very pretty and follows the color wheel theory of opposites)
  12. Child's patchwork cardigan--also a la Barbara Kerr http://www.barbarakerrknits.com/workshops.html#. I started this for my niece before I realized that it takes a while to finish this type of garment and she outgrew it. I hear that happens to a lot of people--that fact is still not making me feel any better....

Ahhh, I feel a little better now, airing out my dirty little secret, but there's more. I know, most people don't talk about them, but not only are there UFO's, but USO's (unstarted objects), too. Just to be thorough and to give me something to look forward to once these projects are all complete, I will list those as well. That way, if anyone sees me knitting anything off this list should question me as to whether my UFO's are complete--come on, I need your help!

  1. Beaded scarf--ok, so if any of you attend Stitches East you have probably seen them, they sell these kits for these gorgeous beaded knitted scarves and it's only one cone of thread and a small bag of beads--how much trouble could they be, really? Yeah, I got suckered into them, too....and there they have sat, for over a year, but I will finish it!
  2. Baby blanket for DD--I know she's already a year old, see story about this below--remember, no judging!!
  3. mosaic shawl--also acquired from Stitches East. Man! I need to stop going there--it gets me in so much trouble. But it's so much fun......ok, I'll go again this year--you talked me into it, lol
  4. Pumpkin hat, Ann Norling pattern, I have the Plymouth Encore ready and waiting, I would have made this for DD last year for Halloween, but the pattern was too big for her and I was in no shape with a 5 month old to refigure numbers
  5. Christmas hat--this is a kit from Debby Ware, can't wait to make it this year (I hope!), again I ran into same problem with sizing as pumpkin hat
  6. Hershey's kiss hat--another kit from Stitches East! Same size issues as before..
  7. Wool in the Woods sweater--ok this one is really sad, purchased the first time I went to Stitches, but never started. I can't begin to tell you why
  8. Cowl scarf--this looked like a really pretty smoke ring, also acquired at Stitches East
  9. Opal mittens--this is a kit made by The Wool Connection in Connecticut http://www.woolconnection.com/ .
  10. Three felted Christmas stockings for us.

And in the interest of complete disclosure, what list would be complete without the TOADS (something like totally abandoned in disgust)

  1. Crocheted baby blanket--ok, this is the story I was referring to under the USO's. I started a crocheted shell baby blanket out of wool-ease by Lion Brand but I just felt the yarn to be too scratchy and was afraid it would never soften up despite washing--a fellow knitter confirmed that information for me today and I have decided to nix it. Thus, my 13 1/2 month old DD does not have a handmade blanket--I know, I know, I should be tarred and feathered, but I'm allergic, so could ya just let it slide this once?
  2. Aran dress I was designing for DD--I just didn't like it, the way it hung, etc. I am thinking of doubling the yarn to make a cute poncho for DD for the fall

OK, all this self-revelation is making me tired and my DH and DD are both snoring away, so I had better get some sleep, too. Have to go find sandals to fit DD for our cruise. I didn't actually wait too long to get the sandals, it's just she never grew into the ones we thought would fit her by now....Wish me luck on getting pretty little sandals at this time of year!!

5 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Nd you think YOU have a lot of UFO's.....Ah, you are such a novise *LOL* You should se MY stuff!! Hm...but I use my husbands closet to store them....just a little hint here from Vigdis (vis2vas) in Norway :-)

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I had to use my norwegian blog to leave a comment, here is my english blog : http://strikkestua.blogdrive.com
:-)

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger chappy said...

only counted 22 wip. a novice! i have 31 single socks awaiting a partner and more projects in the works than you can imagine - shawls, jackets, purses, the great american aran afghan, etc. only 22?? hmmm........a novice! on the very bright side, there is lots of knitting to be done. you can chose to knit what strikes your fancy at the moment. colors abound! plenty to pick from. never dull moments! no idle hands. the list goes on and on and on and on........ lots of advantages to having lots of wip! and lots of finished items are coming!!!! hug and happy knittin',
chappy

 
At 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO! You must have hundreds of knitting needles LOL. I'm a quilter really, although I have revived my love of knitting lately, and I have....cough cough..... 72 unfinished quilts!!!! I'm happy though because last year I had 100 - yikes!

I like to have lots of things on the go because I get bored easily. It's the same with knitting. I took it up a few weeks ago and already have 2 scarves, one sock and three sweaters and vests for my 2.5 year old half done as well as about 20 other things I just HAVE to make before the end of the year.

I know I have quilt pox but now it seems I'm developing a bad case of knit pox and it looks like you have it too :-)

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger soapy said...

I have a few myself, a disney snowwhite sweater for my DD, a moss st cardi for DD, a cowl, Mobeius, fairisle silk socks, lace scarf, heirloom socks, 3 afghans in progress YIEKS!!!, long sweather, sleeves for another cabled sweater, 6 sock WIPS, 2 tanks WIPS, hmm I'm sure theres more I forgot about hising in bags somewhere so believe me your totally NOT alone!
Good Luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home